Friday, November 12, 2010

Iron Chef ... not quite

We don't eat much turkey in this part of the world. I don't think I have heard of a traditional Malaysian dish (be it Malay, Chinese, Indian, Iban, Orang Asli, Kadazan-Dusun, Bidayuh, Melanau, Bajau, Siam or Sikh) that is made with turkey, even if we do have those flightless birds in the rural area. What happens to them if they don't end up on our plates? I don't know. I only see non-sandwich turkey on the menu during Christmas season; many restaurants offer them for both dine-in and delivery.

For those who actually cook the turkey themselves and decided that roasting their turkey is old fashioned (or having discovered that your oven couldn't accommodate the bird), please watch this video before contemplating deep-frying your turkey.



It wouldn't do to join the inglorious ranks of Darwin Award winners just for a bird.

However, if you would prefer another version of turkey ... like this one:


go here for the cooking instruction. And don't forget to invite me to come over for a taste.

2 comments:

mumuchi said...

When we used to raise our own turkeys previously, rendang ayam turki yum2 bro, no so-called tasteless bird syndrome after it has gone through the rendang treatment.

Too bad all the turkeys in the supermarkets are non-halal, o/wise can give you a taste what a turkey should taste like.

Snuze said...

Really? You made rendang from turkey? Wow! I keep forgetting to ask my cousin what she does with the turkeys I see around in her compound in Tapah. *grin*