Thursday, February 6, 2014

Kill 'em all and let God sort it out.

Killing Floor (Jack Reacher, #1)Killing Floor by Lee Child
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Pages: 523
Time taken: Roughly two days

The first I heard about Jack Reacher was from the movie with Tom Cruise in it. I'm not a fan of his, but no hater either so whatever, right? But I got curious enough to pick up the back story novel The Enemy and now I'm hooked.


I know a lot of people read without visualising the characters but for some reason, I got Armie Hammer in my head for Jack Reacher. Possibly because of the height thing. So how did they cast a guy who didn't even hit six feet for the character I don't even ...

Anyway.

This is the first book of the series. It's pretty nicely done for a debut novel, tight, well-constructed plot, excellent pacing and action and a character that you can enjoy.

Did I tell you that the character is a sociopath?

Sorry if that is spoilery (this review is tagged as spoiler, okay) but how else do you describe a character who has no remorse about killing people? Granted that he's avenging his brother but still.

What I didn't like was the way the Mr Child wrote the leading female character as a last name only. Excuse me, no woman would sleep with a man who:

a) Has a single change of clothes, and
b) Not know her first name

Okay, may be a woman would bang a guy who'd just call her "sugar", "sweetheart" and "darling" or whatever (even James Bond has some standards) but she took him home and trusted him enough to get a gun for him. But Mr Child fixed it in his second book so I guess it's just a debut novel hiccup.

Favourite quote/excerpt:

"Who's next?" I said. "But this is like Vegas now, it's double or quits. This guy is going to the hospital, maybe six weeks in a metal mask. So the next guy gets twelve weeks in the hospital, you understand that? Couple of smashed elbows, right? So who's next?"

Male protagonist: 5/5 stars
Female protagonist: 3/5 stars
Storyline: 4/5 stars
Pacing: 5/5 stars
Fun Factor: 4/5 stars
Repeat Reading Factor: 4/5 stars


View all my reviews

No comments: